Why should you invest in lymphatic massage pre and post surgery?
Lymphatic massage which is also known as manual lymphatic drainage (MLD) can relieve the tight, heavy feeling of swelling after a facelift, tummy tuck, liposuction, breast reconstruction, BBL or even orthopaedic surgery. In fact any sort of surgery can do help by having a lymphatic treatment.
The short message is; with lymphatic massage / MLD as part of your tool kit, this will help reduce your swelling and shorten your post surgical recovery time and get you back to normal, sooner
Want to know more about the benefits of Lymphatic Massage / MLD?
This article from Macom who are a compression garment supplier in the UK, really articulates the benefits of post surgical lymphatic massage / drainage. They talk about the growing trend in the UK to have hands-on lymphatic treatments as part of patients recovery plan.
What do you need to plan for?
If you can, please book in for two or three treatments, prior to your surgery as this will help your body and lymphatic system to be prepared for the post surgical recovery lymphatic massage treatments plus this will help you to be more relaxed
1. Plan and book in your lymphatic massage treatments as soon as possible after your surgery to reap the benefits
2. Budget for one to two x 60 minute treatments a week for around four to six weeks as a general guideline
3. Follow all your surgeon’s post surgical care instructions and wear your compression / faja!
4. Plan for your support and recovery process
Outcomes of the Lymphatic Treatments
1. Once healed we can also look at MSTR Treatments to further reduced the scarring and softening the affected area, if needed.
2. You may want to look at post-surgical recovery exercises, once approval given by your Surgeon / Specialist. Kathleen Lisson CLT has put together some a 6 Minute Post Surgical Work Out
What IS a post surgical lymphatic treatment?
A Lymphatic Massage / Manual Lymphatic Drainage (MLD) is very gentle and rhythmical sequence. There is no “squeezing” out of the lymph. It is a hands-on treatment and you will be placed in a supported position on the massage couch so you can relax and enjoy the treatment.
Note: No oil or lotion is used and hands are with a light pressure in the direction of the lymphatic flow
If you are physically to make it in to see me as often post surgery you are just not able to travel, then provided you are on the North Shore or within 15kms of my Clinic, then I can arrange to come to your home for treatments.
- Think about this as part of your post care plan as you will need to contact me to confirm.
Please note the additional travel fee of $25 on top of the 60 minute treatment cost